Thursday, November 10, 2011

Intertympanic Shots: 3 down, 1 more to go

Last week, I got the news that my latest AIED tinnitus episode had caused a 20 dB loss at 1000 Hz in my left ear. I'm only down to 30 dB in that frequency which is categorized as a mild hearing loss. What's noteworthy, though, is that I was hearing at 0 dB at 1000 Hz in the left ear just 10 months ago. Knowing this, I had my audiologist take a look at my audiograms collectively since I became her patient. It was clear to us both that my once good ear had been nosediving since January (post oral steroids treatment which as I note in previous posts was totally unsuccessful and caused severe insomnia, mood swings and depression.) My ENT was confident that intertympanic steroid shots would not have the same systemic effect and could be more effective in combating my tinnitus and hearing loss during an actual episode. With that, I had my first shot on Nov. 2nd.

The whole process takes less than a minute but as the injection goes in it causes intense vertigo, which is well-documented so they inject you lying down. Post-injection it feels like your ear is full and, at least after the first injection, my ear burned like someone had boxed me in the ear. In order for the inner ear to absorb the prednisone, a patient has to lie on their opposite side and wait for gravity to take effect. It's weird because your ear feels as if it's acting as a suction cup. You hear some weird suction-type sounds, too. Perhaps the most awkward thing about the post-injection period: you have to lay there for 30 minutes without talking or swallowing. Translation: spit into tissues for a half hour so as not to swallow your own saliva.

The whole experience the first time around made me wary about continuing with the three other injections the doctor prescribed. Fortunately, shot #2 five days later was alot less painful. And, finally, about a day after that injection, I awoke to no tinnitus for the first time in a week. With my spirits lifted, I had my third shot done yesterday. Again, it was less uncomfortable than it had been in the previous two visits. My final shot is scheduled for Monday.

It will be intriguing to see if my hearing rebounds at all from the treatment. As far as I am concerned, I've noticed it's been easier to chat on the phone than it was during the episode and I'm overall not as tired because I don't feel like I'm struggling like I was. Should there still be some permanent loss sustained by this latest episode, though, I will once again be that annoying patient who advocates for herself and ask for another hearing aid adjustment.

It's been about 8 months or so now since I've gotten my Exelias and I now fully understand and value the fact that getting the best amplification possible totally transforms my life and affects everything from my energy level to my mood. As long as my ears can benefit from amplification, I will be that patient that's constantly fine-tuning her aids to fit her fluctuating loss. Sometimes it feels like I am running after this hearing loss trying desperately to catch up to it and be the best hearing person I can be. I can't say that it's not exhausting sometimes but at least I have finally embraced it. There's a peace about it now that I never had. I hope it keeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment